Well friends, it is official… while the baby of the family will always be just that, Miss Mairi is officially a toddler. I’m sure what defines the transition from baby to toddler varies by parent, but for me, it is packing away the crib. This was done without my input a few weeks ago while I had the boys out at a birthday party. Rob felt she was ready (I’ll refrain from sharing my thoughts – ha!) and so I came home to Mairi screeching and jumping on her “big girl bed”. Clearly, there was no going back. I have to say, despite my initial freak out, Mairi has handled her new level of freedom quite well and there have only been a couple of 2am visits from her. Now that the crib is out and potty training is underway, which means soon the changing pad and supplies will be gone too, I’ve started brainstorming for ideas on how to update her bedroom to reflect toddlerhood.
I love the existing colour palette (see below), the little tchotchkes, furniture and overall “vintage” styling of her room; these are definitely the anchors to the updates I am planning.
In truth, there isn’t really a huge amount I want or need to do. The major change is a more appropriate sized bed than the one she is currently in. My parents, thankfully, kept my 3/4 size bed that I had growing up. It has a pretty metal frame that’s sturdy and feminine, but presently it’s far too big for her and the room (which is pathetically small). So, the plan is to return the bed back to the utility room until she’s older and buy something smaller. I had a few criteria in mind while I Googled away “small, cute, sturdy beds” and kept finding my way to Ikea’s Minnen bed. The price point is reasonable, it’s dainty and expands! A solid win on all fronts.
Now that the bed has been determined, I’ve more or less been poking around the internet for accessories and some other smaller things to create a bit of a change. Target’s Pillowfort line is my current obsession. I fell in love with the whole line while in Florida last year. I managed to squeeze one pillow into our luggage, but have since regretted not sending my parents home with more. Since my parents are back in Florida this year and thankfully the same Pillowfort line is still stocked, I’m not holding back! I’ve been sending my Mum pictures and she’s on the hunt.
I promise to provide a proper before and after tour, but for now, here is an idea of what I’ve been looking at:
1. Ikea Minnen Bed – A classic look that I know will match well with the existing eclectic furniture. We will also be purchasing an Ikea mattress to fit perfectly.
2. Target Pillowfort Wall-mounted Unicorn – Wall-mounted stuffed unicorn… need I say more?!
3. Ikea Smila Blomma Wall Lamp – I have Ikea star wall lamps for each of the boys and I love them. Given their young ages, it’s nice knowing for safety reasons that I don’t have to worry about lamps being knocked over and they’re really convenient for the kids to be able to turn on/off while in bed. I’m leaning towards the flower one for Mairi as I think it will be a nice contrast to her wall colour, but I’m also debating if this new cloud one wouldn’t be cuter… decisions, decisions.
4. Charlton Home Glasgow Pink Rug Ideally, a yellow rug would be an option, but unfortunately with the colour tones in our floor it’ll clash too much. The next choice would be white… but kids, so no. I found this rug and really liked the shade and that it’s low pile, it’ll work well in front of her bed.
5. Pillowfort Fetching Florals (pictured as single bed) and Xhiliration Multi Floral (double) Major toss up! I like both of these floral prints because they’re equally cheerful, patterned and in the colour scheme I’m working with. I’m leaning more towards the Pillowfort set only because the shades are more muted.. but then again, maybe something more vibrant would be a better contrast? Thoughts?!
6. 3 pack Arrows I love the colours and think it would make a nice, dimensional piece on the main wall. However of all the ideas shown above, these are low on the list of things to buy.
7. Super Girl Pillow Is Etsy not the best?! I love this sweet pillow. It’s peppy and totally matches Mairi’s fun personality.
Stay tuned for the big reveal!